CARROT LENTIL SOUP
Serves 4 persons
2 Onions, chopped 2
2 Garlic cloves, minced 2
1 T Ginger root, grated 15 mL
1 t Cumin 5 mL
_ t Salt 2 mL
_ t Pepper 1 mL
6 c Chicken or vegetable stock 1.5 L
_ c Red lentils 175 mL
_ c Plain yogurt, low fat (optional) 125 mL
2 T Fresh parsley, chopped (optional) 25 mL
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook carrots, onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, salt, and pepper, stirring often for 5 min, or until onions soften.
2. Add stock and lentils. Bring soup to boil.
3. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 min, or until carrots and lentils are tender.
4. In blender, puree soup in batches. Reheat soup thoroughly.
5. Drop yogurt in centre of soup in bowls. Top yogurt with parsley.
*Lentils are a good source of vegetable Protein and are very high in Folate and Fibre. Serve with whole grain bread/buns and a green salad with low fat homemade dressing.
Adapted from Canadian Living Test Kitchen Recipe www.canadianliving.com