North York Harvest Food Bank (NYH) is committed to protecting the privacy and the personal information of its clients, donors, employees, volunteers and other stakeholders. NYH is committed to keeping your information accurate, confidential and secure.
Defining Personal Information
Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify, or contact a specific individual. This information can include an individual’s opinions and beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to, the individual (eg name, address, telephone number and email address but does not include the name title or business address or telephone number of an employee or organization).
Privacy Practices and Protection of Information
Personal information gathered by NYH is kept in confidence and in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), which sets out the following ten “Privacy Principles”.
- Accountability – NYH is responsible for personal information under its control and we have designated an individual (listed at the end of this policy) who is accountable for NYH’s compliance with the following principles
- Identifying Purposes – We obtain and record personal information only for the specific purposes we disclose to you
- Consent – The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for NYH to collect, use or disclose personal information
- Limiting Collection – The collection of personal information is limited to what is necessary for the purposes identified and we will only collect such information by fair and lawful means
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – NYH cannot and will not use personal information for any other purposes other than those for which it is collected and shall only be retained only as long as needed for those purposes.
- Accuracy – We use our best efforts to ensure personal information is accurate, complete, and up to date as necessary for the purpose intended
- Safeguards – Personal information is protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information
- Openness – NYH makes available to individuals information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information
- Individual Access – Upon request, NYH will provide access to the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and we will provide access to that information
- Challenging Compliance – An individual can address a privacy complaint concerning compliance with the above principles to the NYH privacy officer listed at the end of this policy.
How Personal Information is Collected
Our electronic donation service requires that cardholders provide contact information (including without limitation: name, address, city, state or province/territory, postal code, country, telephone and email), and financial information (including without limitation: name on credit card, credit card number and expiry date), and ordering information. This information is collected and used to process the transaction, for internal accounting and for NYH’s donor recognition purposes.
In addition, we may collect personal information from you when you voluntarily provide it to us through a number of features available on our website.
How Personal Information is Disclosed
NYH does not sell, transfer or otherwise disclose to third parties the personal information we collect.
Information Automatically Collected
Our website keeps track of usage data, such as the source address that a page request is coming from, your IP address or domain name, the date and time of the page request, the referring website (if any) and other parameters in the URL. The IP addresses we collect on our electronic purchase service are linked to personally identifiable information. This is collected in order to combat fraud during the purchase process. We also use this data to better understand website usage in the aggregate so that we know what areas of our website users prefer. Automatically collected information is also used for the same purposes as cardholder supplied and merchant supplied information.
Sometimes we may use cookie technology, web beacons and other similar devices on our website to enhance functionality and navigation for our visitors. Information tracked through these mechanisms includes, but is not limited to: (i) your IP address; (ii) the type of web browser and operating system being used; (iii) the pages of the website a user visits; and
(iv) other websites a user visited before visiting this website. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may be unable to access some customized features on our website. Cookies do not collect or contain your personal information.
We restrict access to personal information collected about you at our website to our employees, those who are otherwise specified in this Policy, or others who need to know that information to provide services to you or in the course of conducting our business operations or activities. While no website can guarantee security, we maintain appropriate physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your personal information collected via the website. We protect our databases with various physical, technical and procedural measures and we restrict access to your information by unauthorized persons.
We also advise all NYH employees about their responsibility to protect customer data and we provide them with appropriate guidelines for adhering to our organization’s ethics standards and confidentiality policies. At North York Harvest data is stored in password-controlled servers with limited access.
NYH uses advanced security to help protect your personal information. Our electronic donation service is secured with SSL encryption. All information collected is secured via SSL encryption, and protected by a firewall. Whenever sensitive information is transmitted, such as a credit card number, our server provides 128-bit encryption of the information as it travels across the Internet. NYH restricts internal access to personal information to selected members of NYH’s employees. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
Some or all of the personal information we collect may be stored or processed on servers located outside your jurisdiction of residence, whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction in which you live. As a result, this information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to laws in those jurisdictions. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require the data processor in that country to maintain protections on the personal information that are equivalent to those that apply in the country in which you live.
Links to Other Websites
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.