Comments Off on Spring Food Drive
Spring is in the air and our office is buzzing! Okay, yes I admit, these past few weeks have felt like we’ve experienced all four seasons at once – but trust me… Spring is almost here!
To celebrate the amazing weather on the way, we are kicking off the Spring Food Drive and we want YOU to be a part of it!
The Spring Drive is so important for making sure that the pantries are stocked during the warmer months to ensure no one has to go without! Together we can make sure that everyone meets their food needs!
Help us raise $100,000 and 100,000 lbs. of food! Your support will help more than 15,000 people each month using food banks, meal programs, prenatal/early parenting programs, community kitchens and other vital services throughout the city.
Getting involved with the food drive is a lot of fun and helps so many people! Just ask Lauren, who has been running food drives for more than ten years!
“I first heard about North York Harvest back in 2005 when I was 14 years old. A NYH bag came to our house with the local newspaper letting us know how we could help,” says Lauren. “I decided right then to do a food drive. At 14 it was a really cool thing to do. Our first food drive raised 170 pounds and its increased so much since then!”
Lauren and her parents have made food drives not only a family tradition, but a tradition within their neighbourhood. “I love going door to door to see everyone in the neighbourhood. A lot of the people I grew up with still give every year because they know that people rely on our help. It has become a real connection to the community.”
What are Lauren’s tips for running YOUR food drive?
- It is much easier than it looks and it is much more rewarding too! Its benefits are huge!
- You need a flyer or brochure – we’ve had the same one for the past 10 years! Update it with suggested items from the website. Click here for some handy materials for your drive!
- We grocery shop as a family and sometimes with a few neighbours as well –add such items as baby formula, canned proteins. Living in a multi-cultural city and community, we also try to contribute spices and different types of food. Click here for a list of suggested foods to donate
Over 400 people rely on the food bank EVERY DAY. You can help!
What are you waiting for? Sign up today to make a huge difference in your community!
Looking for other ways to get involved with the Spring Food Drive?
- Make a donation. Just $10 provides 30 meals!
- Set up a fundraising page on our website so your friends and family can donate.
- Volunteer your time. Join us in store, on the truck or at the public sort.
- Make a donation of groceries in your local grocery store.
- Connect on social media and spread the word!
Check out the food drive kit that we put together just for you! It has everything you need to run an incredible food drive!
Comments are closed